Monday, February 21, 2011

Welcome to..


"But for you who fear my name" likely sums up the musical brilliance and underlying themes of the Welcome Wagon's most recent effort, entitled "Welcome to the Welcome Wagon." As I write (and consequently while you read) the protestant hymmwriter Lenny Smith's word are being graciously poured over raspy trombones, hand-claps, and a rambunctious choir. Glory, Glory.

The Welcome Wagon consists of Reverend Vito Aiuto and his wife, Monique: They live in Brooklyn and head Resurrection Presbyterian Church. Sufjan Stevens, whom also produced and played a variety of instruments on the album, regularly attends and his lyric and vocal styles are neatly woven into the fabric of this album. The album begins with the slow melodic "Up on a Mountain" and quickly transitions to the up-beat electric "Sold to the nice Rich Man". Such a transition is so very typical of the spontaneity of each folk-driven ballad included.

My personal favorites include the heart-breaking "He Never Said a Mumblin' Word", the enthralling "I am a Stranger" and my personal favorite, made famous by the likes of The Smiths (whom I hold no personal affection for), "Half a Person". "Call me morbid, call me pale, I spent 6 years on your trail". Fantastic.

As much as I hate to do this, I would recommend this record for anyone who enjoys Sufjan Stevens, Derek Webb, or Anathallo. One thing is certain, you will not be able to give this record a listen without noticing the underlying spirit and passion brought by this duo. It just may leave you wanting to travel to Brooklyn this Sunday.

Happy Listening,

Evan

2 comments:

  1. Also, I would like to mention, that "Half a Person" is John Carr's least favorite of the record, booo..

    ReplyDelete
  2. im jus sayin, if i had to pick a song that i didnt like, it would be that one. im glad you reviewed an album =) i love you

    ReplyDelete