Monday, February 14, 2011

Music Monday -John Carr

sorry about the lack of a music monday last week, evan said he was going to write one...
this week, valley maker: their self-titled album (valley maker)
valley maker's self titled album is a collection of songs inspired by the book of genesis. it is the brain child of austin crane who says this about the album "valley maker was born out of my honors senior thesis project. I studied economics and russian language/literature for my undergrad, so I wanted to do something for my thesis that reflected my interest in music and songwriting." the album is a wonderful singer/songwriter record with a bit of an indie sound. crane's voice is a bit gritty and harsh, similar to bob dylan, but it is balanced out beautifully by amy godwin who's vocals are delivered in a flawless milky smoothness. godwin's voice helps to enforce the mood that crane creates lyrically and vocally, in a subtle yet noticeable way. the bridge to the album's second track "babel" is a great example of this. its apparent that the lyrics are what drives the entire record but I think thats what amazes me about a track like "cain and abel," where crane is basically singing biblical stories that also make for incredible musicianship. you can actually download the album for a pay-what-you-want basis at www.valleymaker.com


listen to this album while: just sitting in the living room, laying down for a nap, or driving at night after a long day

No comments:

Post a Comment