Friday, November 12, 2010

Doug here...

The Willard House is of great importance to me. I love what we've got goin' on here. School is almost over for me, and I am trying very hard to finish well (which includes actually passing a class that I am dangerously close to failing...).

James mentioned the Lodge in his previous post. I think it would be appropriate, after telling you about the character of its residents to describe to you the design of the house. First, on the way in you'll find one of John's old surfboard's hanging over the spot on the porch where we have spent a lot of time. It's getting cold now, though. Entering the front door you find on your left said Lodge, full of pieces of dead things, ways to make more dead things, and (on most evenings) a handful of not-so-dead things sitting by a fire. The lodge is painted forest-green. Straight ahead is our kitchen, where we keep the giant kitchen table Jackson's parents let us have.
On your right you'll find the picture room where we have hung the house pictures from the men of the past and the present, as well as a wall papered with random other photos. We don't use it for squat, but I appreciate having an open space. Makes me feel like I have room to breathe, don't know why though.
Upstairs there are 4 bedrooms (speaking of which, if anyone w/ the law asks, only 4 people live here). First on the left is James', painted a sort of sea-foam green which goes with all of the surfing decorations his mom got him.
First on the right is Jackson's, painted some other sort of green; a cool guy sleeps in there. Next on the right there is John and Evan's, painted a color that reminds me of sand or wood. Back in the left corner is Jeremy. His room hasn't been painted a funny color, but he's got a bathroom. Between Jeremy's and James' room there is a bathroom across from the stairs. Somehow I have never had to wait more than a minute for a shower, even living with 8 dudes. Maybe the fact that we are dudes contributes heavily to that, but I still find it sweet.
Down the steps you'll find on your left the room where Joe, Sam, and I sleep. We painted it purple. I don't know why, but I love it. It is a big room that used to be used for nothing but a place to put a ping-pong table that never got used. Much better as a bedroom, and I think we could fit at least another person down there with no trouble.
On your right you'll find a blue room with no windows which has been committed to the watching of movies & TV and playing video juegos. Our house favorite is Super Smash Bros. 64 (my best character is Mario, but have recently picked up DK), though there has been plenty of FIFA '09 thrown down there too.
Next is the study, a.k.a. the Golden room since it is painted yellow and shines brightly in the morning sun. I don't know what I would do without this room.
Passing through the back of the coat closet you'll come to Narnia, which might be more appropriately titled Lantern Waste as all that it is back there is a storage area and a passage to the real goodness: the Bosom. The Bosom is a dwelling of manliness within the dwelling of manliness that is 402 Willard, our heart of hearts perhaps. The Bosom is painted red and has been pasted with a picture of C.S. Lewis enjoying some tobacco and a message of radical collisions. If you'll look closely, you might find some other things pasted about...

2 comments: