Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sky Blue Sky





Wilco is certainly one of my favorite bands of all time. They haven't put out anything that I can't listen to and enjoy immensely, from Alt-country to experimental. Its important to note, however, that Sky Blue Sky, although not the most recent work, takes the cake every time in my book.

Perhaps thats due to the fact that it was the first effort after the addition of lead guitarist Nels Cline. Nels has made a name for himself through his solo work which is described by The New York Times "One of the best guitarists in any Genre." Nels background includes just about every type of jazz one could possibly imagine and his addition to arguably one of the best American rock bands ever is perfect. Perhaps my taste for this album is also derived from my relating the effort to the summertime of my sophomore year and the many many times that I enjoyed it on the dock of a lake (Smith Mountain, see license plate) with best friends. And, perhaps once more, my fondness is due to the fact that I happened to see Wilco on their Sky Blue Sky tour that summer and they played beautiful summer music for 3 straight hours including 3 encores, because the first and the second just weren't enough. However, whatever the reason may be, I'd say that this record is easily one of my top 10 favorites of all time.

Many have described the album as one that was meant to be played live, and given my presumptuous feelings about the work, I must agree. This is summer music at its finest ladies and gentlemen. Perhaps the best part of the music, is that its universal. Sure, it has a summery chill-out sound, but lets not forget the many rampant Nels solos that separate the sound from anything else. The band also has more current members than a ska band, so the sound isn't quite like anything else out there. Also, let us not forget the magnificent words and presence that is Jeff Tweedy front man and former Uncle Tupelo. Say whatever you want about his stale attitude towards his fans and life in general, the man can write music, and good music at that.

So, give it a try. The birds are out once more. The grass is greening. The weather is incredible. Soon enough, summer will be here just begging for a summer mix. Sky Blue Sky is the perfect choice every time. Wilco wins big this time.

Evan

No comments:

Post a Comment