Monday, April 4, 2011

Seven Swans Reimagined


this album was put out by an independent compilation company "on joyful wings." Its a wonderful cover album of sufjan stevens' album "seven swans." actually, as a matter of fact, if you haven't listened to the original album you need to buy it now. seriously. its a musically phenomenal masterpiece of a record that is in my opinion unmatched in terms of sufjan's creativity. the album is beautifully and subtly laced with the gospel. Its one of my top five favorite albums ever, so I was a bit apprehensive about people messing with it but it turned out pretty sick. derek webb's cover of "in the devil's territory" is wonderful, he definitely adds a different spin on the song with a mix of electronics, wood block beats, and snare drums. my favorite track on the album is joshua james' rendition of "to be alone with you." its incredible. he slowed the song down a bit and plays it on the piano. his voice is folky and somber and a violin and banjo join in later in the song, it literally gives me chills every time I listen to the song, its awesome. the only track I didn't like was david crowder's cover of "the transfiguration," its a bit cheesy sounding, especially at the end of the track, it sounds like a freaking techno song. I dunno maybe I just have an issue with david crowder covering a sufjan song.. regardless the album is a good look and you should check it out. you should know, however, that the track "abraham" was not covered on the album for some reason.. kind of a bummer but apparently on joyful wings is going to release it for free later. thats all for now, heres the track listing, PEACE

1. Bonnie "Prince" Billy "All The Trees of the Field Will Clap Their Hands"

2. The Gregory Brothers "The Dress Looks Nice on You"

3. Derek Webb "In the Devil's Territory"

4. Joshua James "To Be Alone With You"

5. Damion Suomi "Abraham"

6. Unwed Sailor "Sister"

7. Wakey!Wakey! "Size Too Small"

8. Elin Smith "We Won't Need Legs to Stand"

9. DM Stith "A Good Man Is Hard to Find"

10. Half-Handed Cloud "He Woke Me Up Again"

11. Carl Hauck "Seven Swans"

12. David Crowder*Band "The Transfiguration"

13. Jason Harrod "I Went Dancing With My Sister" (B-side)

14. Shannon Stephens "Waste of What Your Kids Won't Have" (B-side)

15. Inlets "Borderline" (B-side)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness I found this album last week and I'm in love with it! It baffles me how creative we are here...the art in heaven is going to be...mind blowing. hope all is well at the willard house, love you guys

    ReplyDelete