Monday, April 18, 2011

The Marvelous Magic of Matthew Hypes

Yes my friends, tonight was glorious.

As many of you know, a good friend of ours, (Matthew Hypes) is a professional chef (no joke), and has a passion for the men of Willard. As many of you also know, I have a passion for food rivaled by almost no one (see Big Man Club post, circa November 2010). (And yes I notice that i am using a lot of parentheses). Anyway, today Hypes joined us in Blacksburg for fellowship and freedom. Hypes loves this blog, and we love Hypes, so I figured I would describe our time with him today.

He arrived at approximately 4:52 p.m. at Willard, from where he immediately jumped in Jackson's Mazda and joined us in YL Leadership, held in beautiful Squires hall. Much has changed in Blacksburg since Hypes was last here (last year for the Lupe Fiasco concert). Anyway, leadership tonight was senior reflections (Col. 3:17), which we all enjoyed immensely, especially Hypes being able to hear Mark Richardson's (Hypes was his leader in high school.) After that, we headed back to Willard, where Hypes started cooking and we started playing SuperSmash (Joe beat me twice, but both were cheap victories, no honor there). After a few quick smash sessions, we went up stairs and chatted with Isaac, Hypes, and Caleb (HS senior from Towson, MD, who will be coming to Tech next year after visiting this weekend.) (Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, HI..) Then came the most miraculous portion of the day. Hypes' roasted chicken.

The master chef held nothing back tonight, with Roasted Chicken, Orza salad, and Bread pudding. My mouth is watering now thinking about what a good meal it was. Afterwards we sat around the table in a Willard tradition and shared our struggles and encouragements. After dinner, Hypes left to make the long trip home, and we retired to our various activities, (I went on campus to write a paper, which is going horribly.) So in closing, thanks Hypes for a lovely time. We miss you already, and eagerly anticipate your next visit, which will hopefully be longer.

<3's
James Harris

2 comments:

  1. Hypes also set our oven on fire. He blames it on the fact we have never cleaned it. I disagree

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you added the oven on fire because it was an important part of the dinner making. I only blame because something already in the oven caught fire, not the food I was making. But that being said I'd set y'alls oven on fire if it meant I was cooking dinner again.

    ReplyDelete