Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A Day in The Life of John Carr: The Married Man

7:30 AM. I hate the alarm ringing, reminds me that technically I work for the man now. I told myself I'd never give into this capitalistic system made on the backs of the little guy, but gotta keep the family together. Sleepy and Eliot Ladarius are counting on me.

8:00 AM. Getting out of the shower and dressing for work. Working for Young Life is rich in payment only if we're talking about storing up treasures in heaven. Unfortunately, it lacks a little when we're talking about payment for a first year staff associate. Luckily, I'm a master of buying stuff on Amazon for great deals. Does Stef need a new jean jacket? Yep.

8:30 AM. Get to the office and head in to see Ryder, aka my spiritual daddy. He's been there from the beginning, and it's pretty cool he's now my boss. He's gotten really into bicycling recently and refuses to wear anything but spandex when in public. It would be fine, but he's made it an office dress code, and I'm starting to sweat something awful.

10:30 AM Working.

11:30 AM Head home for lunch. I sit down outside and have a picnic with Stef. Recently, instagram has been infecting the real world. Let me explain; I no longer need filters. Nature is now shifting to fit our lifestyle. So as we had a picnic outside, to onlookers it seemed that someone had flipped an X-LO II in front of their eyes. With a slight blur around everything but us and Ladarius.

11:45 AM Ladarius requires his fur to be brushed at least three times a day. He's a high maintenance little furball, but I love him. I spend an abnormal amount of time making sure his fur shines.

3:30 PM Head to Harrisonburg High School. It's got both Young Life and Vida Joven, so I've been boning up on my spanish. #PTL for illegal downloads of Rosetta Stone!

5:00 PM I got home from work and told Steph I needed to work on some stuff in the garage. We don't have a tv or internet access in order for us to be more "intentional" with each other. It's all fine and dandy except now I can't watch surfing videos. I absentmindedly rub my hand up and down my ole  surfboard "Shreddy Mac." I can almost smell the ocean and hear the waves breaking around as the white water rushes under my feet and between my toes. I do this for about 15 minutes before the moment passes.

6:00 PM I cook dinner for Steph and I. She was out doing some nannying/photographing today, so I throw on enough spaghetti for two. We light some candles, and I recite poetry to her. Mainly some Walt Whitman. Oh, what a wizard with words.

7:00 PM. Get out the paintmarker and look around the house for a good place to write a quote.

7:45 PM Stef finally wrestled the marker away. I'm being grouchy and head back to the garage to re-wax my board.

9:30 PM Stef and I do one last brushing session for Eliot.

10:00 PM We hit the hay, I look in my wife's eyes and think "God must exist, cause my wife is way out of my league."

10:04 PM Sleep. I dream of Chud.

No comments:

Post a Comment